Sourdough Journal

A journal of my attempts to make a sourdough starter, make sourdough, other breads, etc.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pain Polka


Pain Polka

Again, this isn't a sourdough bread, but I haven't had the chance to make sourdough lately so it can go up here too.

Anyway, it's a loaf of Pain Polka I made on the grill on the other day. The loaf used some dough I froze the last time I made baguettes as a starter and for flavor. My cuts apparently were not quite even, but it still looks nice.

This was taken in the car on the way to the Hollywood Bowl for the 4th of July show, so it is a rather odd photo.

I made a second loaf as well, but I had no chance to take a picture of it.

Both loaves had a very nice crumb, and tasted great. Hopefully if and when I get a cloche, or make my own, I can get it to actually cook all the way through without the bottom getting rather burned. I just picked up a bulb pan and saucer so I'll be making m own within the next couple days. And maybe get a nice crunchy crust on the top too. Although the crusts I get on the grill are the most pillowy soft and beautifully squishy of anything I've made.

I also discovered that for some reason they turn incredibly hard on the outside about 1 day after baking. Don't think it would in a bag, but we'll see in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home