Sourdough Journal

A journal of my attempts to make a sourdough starter, make sourdough, other breads, etc.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Injera Starter


Injera Starter

This is a starter for the traditional Ethiopian/Somalian/Eritrean flatbread, Injera.

It is traditionally made from Teff flour. Teff is the smallest grained of the wheat family, the whole grains are about the size of a poppy seed. Hopefully it will be ready soon!

I just started it this morning, and it is supposed to take about 3 days to ferment. It doesn't seem to mix all that well, a lot of the flour is sitting on the bottom. But we'll see how it goes!

1 Comments:

Blogger SumisuYoshi said...

They had it at the Whole Foods near me, as well as whole grain teff. Both were Bob's Red Mill brand. I want to try to find some from TeffCo as they have both the ivory and the brown versions, and I want to see the flavor difference. I also think that for some things the ivory would make for nicer presentation.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find in Italy...

I imagine it would be easy to grind though, the seeds are so small to begin with it probably doesn't take much effort.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home